Amazon diagnosis

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon May 2 21:11:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net> wrote:
> Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 02 May 2011 12:27:34 PDT, Jeroen van Aart said:
>>
>>> It surprised me because I, perhaps naively, assumed IT workers in general
>>> have a rather broad knowledge
>
>> Sorry to break it to you.
>
> That's ok, the past tense in my story testifies to the fact I was already
> aware of it. But thanks. ;-)

There was a significant decline in knowledge as the .com era peaked in
the 90s; less CS background required as an entry barrier, the
employment pool grew fast enough that community knowledge
organizations (Usenix, etc) didn't effectively diffuse into the new
community, etc.

The number of people who "get" computer architecture, ops, clusters,
networking, systems architecture and engineering, etc...  Not good.

Sigh.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com