HIJACKED: 148.163.0.0/16 -- WTF? Level3 is now doing IP hijacking??

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Mar 30 22:23:09 UTC 2011

In message <002201cbef24$c1b61d70$45225850$@com>, you wrote:

>I don't believe any one monitors this system and I
>would imagine if no one complains about this company advertising hijacked
>routes to level 3 then it would be quite easy to advertise a network that
>has been abandon(sic).

At this point, I do believe that you are stating the obvious.

Whether it is wise, or otherwise, to leave one's company's route announcements
entirely on autopilot is, I think, a remaining question.

The evidence would seem to suggest not.

But then again, as I think we all know, there is a non-zero costs associated
with doing anything well, professionally, or (as the laywers like to say)
in a "workman-like manner", and these costs are often seen as being at odds
with the corporate bottom line.

Personally, I just hope that Level3 accrues a sufficient quantity of bad
PR from what they have done here so that they will lose a client or two,
and that this in turn might have some salutary effect upon the corporate
calculus.

Regards,
rfg