New tsunami advisory warning - Japan

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Mon Mar 28 22:40:25 UTC 2011

Michael Thomas wrote:
> Gavin Pearce wrote:
>>> *yawn*.  A foot and a half isn't going to be all *that* bad
>>
>> Sorry to continue off topic:
>>
>> Try to imagine ... a temporary very high tide, rather than a cresting
>> wave. In addition to the "height", it's the wave-length you have to take
>> into account. Tsunami's rarely become towering breaking waves.
>>

> Quite right. The other part is that the water becomes a very fast moving
> river, especially in places where it's not normally one. Watching the

I don't underestimate the power of even a small tsunami. I have friends
rendered homeless by the Santa Cruz tsunami (their boat being their only
home).

Though I can understand one is underwhelmed by a mag 6.x earthquake in
that region considering I believe more than 20 6+ ones happened there
since the first mag 7.2 earthquake that happened 2-3 days before the mag
9 one.

Most recent ones:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/145_40_eqs.php

--