New tsunami advisory warning - Japan

Gavin Pearce Gavin.Pearce at 3seven9.com
Mon Mar 28 17:22:52 UTC 2011

> JCG ship in the the open ocean.

Impressive video. The wave height and speed would suggest shallower
waters, and that likely the ship was close to land mass when the video
was filmed rather than open ocean (in the sense of being far out to
sea). Not being there of course I could easily be incorrect.

Anyway we digress  :)

Gav

On Mar 28, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Gavin Pearce wrote:
>
>>> You guys forget a lot of folks on the list are working on cabling
ships and off shore platforms, its not all about what happens on shore
in this industry.

>> Valid point ... however in deep ocean, these things are pretty
imperceptible. The effect on ships on the surface are nominal, and off
shore platforms are (generally) built with these things in mind:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27324535/ns/technology_and_science-innovatio
n/

> Here is a video of the recent Japanese tsunami from a JCG ship in the
the open ocean. The waves (@ ~4:20 and 6:40 into the video) caused them
no trouble, but they were certainly not imperceptible.

With the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XSBrrueVoQ&feature=player_embedded#at=19

Marshall