Regional AS model

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Mar 27 06:53:54 UTC 2011

On Mar 25, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> Single AS worldwide is fine with or without a backbone.
>>
> Only if you want to make use of ugly ugly BGP hacks on your routers, or, you don't care about Site A being
> able to hear announcements from Site B.

You are highly confused.

Accepting default is not ugly, especially if you don't even have a backbone connecting your sites.  And even if we could argue over default's aesthetic qualities (which, honestly, I don't see how we can), there is no rational person who would consider it a hack.

You really should stop trying to correct the error you made in your first post.  Remember the old adage about when you find yourself in a hole.

Another thing to note is the people who actually run multiple discrete network nodes posting here all said it was fine to use a single AS.  One even said the additional overhead of managing multiple ASes would be more trouble than it is worth, and I have to agree with that statement.  Put another way, there is objective, empirical evidence that it works.

In response, you have some nebulous "ugly" comment.  I submit your argument is, at best, lacking sufficient definition to be considered useful.

--
TTFN,
patrick