ICANN approves .XXX red-light district for the Internet

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Sun Mar 27 03:05:35 UTC 2011

The determining question was did the application satisfy the 2004
criteria?

The .cat application was the best application in the 2004 round,
according to the evaluators, and the .xxx application was the next
ranked application.

So the point in the 2004 cycle where .xxx could have been prevented,
assuming for the sake of argument that one held that as a goal, was in
the admission criteria for the 2004 round. Had that criteria been
extended by an additional requirement such as the sponsor's mission
must have been to provide a name space for a linguistic or cultural
purpose, the .xxx application, however technically competent, would
have failed under the 2004 admissions criteria.

Each time the issue has been before the Board, I've spoken to the
issue -- the application met the stated criteria. There are no valid
unstated criteria.

A related problem was the subject of a recent blog post,
http://crookedtimber.org/2011/03/19/the-hollowing-out-of-icann-must-be-stopped/

There are very few at ICANN now who were involved in the 2004 round,
let alone the 2000 round, and so little in the way of corporate memory
exists.

Eric