ICANN approves .XXX red-light district for the Internet

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Mar 26 21:17:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:55 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> If the creation of .xxx is a preliminary step in making the fact of
> your web site only being accessible by a name ending in .xxx an
> affirmative defense against a charge of allowing minors to access your
> site then

But do you really believe playboy are going to give up playboy.com?  Or that
new websites are going to register an address that will result in their
website not being visible by 1/6th of the worlds population (
http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/127009/20110325/india-blocks-xxx-domain.htm -
and we all know China and several other countries won't be far behind so
we're probably talking closer to half or more of the worlds population).

At first glance this might sounds like a good idea, but do you know any
*.travel or *.asia (etc) websites that don't also have the equivalent or
similar .com version?  Nobody uses these domains as their only domain, it's
just yet another one that they will register - and yet more money they need
to pay to the registries each year to protect their brand.

  Scott.