The growth of municipal broadband networks

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Sat Mar 26 20:28:35 UTC 2011

   I think the motive for the traditional separation actually was
   completely different from the one for new separation. Silos had the
   effect of limiting competition for specific services, while the avowed
   goal of functional separation mandates is to increase competition.
   Opportunities for service competition between the telegraph and
   telephone networks were limited by technology in the first instance -
   you couldn't carry phone calls over the telegraph network anyway
   because it was a low bandwidth, steel wire system with telegraph office
   - to telegraph office topology - but you could carry telegrams over the
   phone network, but only if permitted by law.
   In a sense, ARPANET was telegraph network 2.0, and even used the same
   terminals initially. Paper tape-to-tape transfers became ftp, the
   telegram became email, and kids running paper messages around the
   office became routers switching packets.
   The layer 0 model has some merit, but has issues. In areas nobody wants
   to provide ISP services, and there is still a tendency toward market
   consolidation due to economies of scale in the service space.
   Facilities-based competition remains the most viable model in most
   places, as we're seeing in the UK where market structure resembles the
   US more than most want to admit: Their two biggest ISPs are BT and
   Virgin, the owners of the wire, and they have less fiber than we have
   in the US.
   Creating the conditions for network competition is a hard problem with
   no easy answers.
   RB