The growth of municipal broadband networks

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Sat Mar 26 06:01:01 UTC 2011

The principle that kept telegraph and telephone apart wasn't a
functional layering concept, it was a "technology silos" concept under
which all communication networks were assumed to be indistinguishable
from their one and only one application. If you read the Communications
Act of 1934, you'll see this idea embodied in the titles of the act,
each of which describes both a network and an application, as we
understand the terms today. Wu wants to make law out of the OSI model, a
very different enterprise than traditional telecom regulation.

--
Richard Bennett