Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

Michael DeMan nanog at deman.com
Sat Mar 26 01:54:56 UTC 2011

On Mar 25, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Thank you Randy.  Give Canute a community-developed set of marching
>>> orders, and make the ocean a little more pliable and you might have
>>> something there.
>>
>> at some point, the arin policy wonk weenies will face reality.  or not.
>> it really makes little difference.
>>
>> i don't particularly like the reality either, but i find it easier and
>> more productive to align my actions and how i spend my time.  not a lot
>> of high paying jobs pushing water uphill.
>>
>> randy
>
> At some point we will see which reality actually pans out. Both the perspective
> of we "ARIN Policy wonk weenies" as Randy so kindly calls us, and, Randy's
> perspective are speculations about future events. I think both are probably equally
> based in reality based on different sets of experiences.
>
> Since my reality has the potential to preserve many good aspects of the internet,
> I hope it turns out that Randy is the one who is wrong.
>
> Owen

Or possibly, if we can not sort this on our own and set a good precedent (for ARIN and the other registries as well) that we can sort this out ourselves in a way that is agreeable and beneficial to all stakeholders - we will just be adding another piece of lumber onto the ready-to-light bonfire that government needs to step in somehow?

- Mike