Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Fri Mar 25 03:34:06 UTC 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:15 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> On 3/24/2011 7:59 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
>>> Because that's what IP addresses are.  Totally worthless unless community
>>> participants voluntarily route traffic for those IPs to the assignee.
>
>> Would de-peer with Microsoft (or turn down a transit contract from them)
>> just because they wanted to announce some Nortel address space?
>
> Microsoft would likely be able to find someone who would not turn them
> down for transit.
>
>> Would ARIN really erase the Nortel entry and move these addresses to the
>> free pool if Microsoft doesn't play along with one of the transfer policies?
>
> Unknown.    I would expect ARIN to erase entries, if the situation exists
> where RIR policy requires that,  or to refrain from effecting the
> transfer in the DB,  unless that transfer requested is valid under policy and
> and the request is made correctly with all normal requirements met.
>
>> Would you announce addresses someone had just obtained from ARIN that were
>> already being announced by Microsoft?
>
> Most certainly, some networks would,  if assigned space in that block,
> probably without noticing Microsoft's announcement.

It that the right question ? I am sure some networks would also continue to use Microsoft's announcements in this scenario. So, it would be a mess.

So, I think that the right question is something more like :

If ARIN reassigned the space, and Microsoft continued to announce it anyway, would either announcing entity be have enough of a critical mass
that the conflict wouldn't matter to it  ?

I would submit that any address assignments with continual major operational issues arising from assignment conflicts would not be very attractive.

I also don't think that that would be good for the Internet.

Regards
Marshall