Nortel, in bankruptcy, sells IPv4 address block for $7.5 million

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 24 15:42:35 UTC 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> They can only get them _at all_ if they can document need.  All
>> receipt of address space, whether from the free-pool or through a
>> transfer, is needs-based.  Anything else would be removing a critical
>> resource from use.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canute

Thank you Randy.  Give Canute a community-developed set of marching
orders, and make the ocean a little more pliable and you might have
something there.

As usual, I will simply point out to folks that ARIN will indeed
administer the policy as adopted, and will explain it as necessary in
various courtrooms.  I ask that the community spend its time thinking
about what policies are indeed desirable, and make sure those are
reflected in the adopted policies.  That's the first priority in
making sure that we're doing the right thing and our efforts are
productive and useful to the community.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO