SP's and v4 block assignments

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Mar 15 15:31:04 UTC 2011

In a message written on Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:13:51AM -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> As for your first sentence, it is true, I Am Not An Isp. :)
> However, I do get space from providers, and it is not at all normal
> for the provider to ask us for money.  But then, maybe we are
> special.

I think the type of service being purchased is the difference.  When
buying DS-3 and up I've almost never seen providers charge for IP's.
A few have a one time fee to provision, but no ongoing monthly.

However, in the DSL/Cable Modem/WISP world, and to some degree in
the small scale hosting world (think the < $100/month plans) it
seems totally common to charge fees for IP's.  One static for $10,
a /29 for $30, etc.

I think the issue with many of the low end plans is you are in a
situation where if the customer calls in the support cost exceeds
your profit for some number of years, and thus if they call in for
static IP's / more IP's you charge them to recover those costs.