SP's and v4 block assignments

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Mar 15 15:13:51 UTC 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> On Mar 15, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Andrew Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for information on the current standard practices for charging customers
>>> for larger than default v4 assignments.
>>>
>>> Especially with the rapidly depleting v4 space, how are SP's handling these
>>> requests?  Is it safe to assume customers requesting larger blocks are willing
>>> to pay a premium?
>>>
>>> How much are SP's charging and what are the thresholds?  What are default
>>> allocations based on?  (ie: size of the circuit, type of product, etc...)
>>>
>>> Are SP's requiring more strict justification for said assignments?
>>
>> "Larger than default"?  There are rules about allocating IP space, it has to do with justification, not default sizes.
>>
>> Charging for them means you are likely a spammer or provider catering to spammers, and lying on your justification forms.  Hopefully these types of providers will go away as space gets tighter and justifications are scrutinized more.
>
> You've not been an ISP for too long.  Charging for IP space (even justified, not being used for spamming) is pretty common.  I don't get involved in sales very often, so I don't know what we charge for them, but I know we do.  I don't believe our rates for IPs have changed [yet] in anticipation of IPv4 runout.  Our standard IPv4 assignment for dedi/colo single servers has been /28.  For cloud, it's /32.  Anything more adds to the MRC.  I can see the former shrinking soon to /29 or /30 unless the customer demands more.

Sorry, hasty note.

Whenever someone says "how much can I charge for giving a customer more space than they need", I think "spammer".  Maybe that's wrong, maybe not, but that's the bell that rang in my head.  And I do hope that spammers will have their space reclaimed, because it is _not_ a justified use of space to put a /16 on a single mail server to avoid blacklists.

As for your first sentence, it is true, I Am Not An Isp. :)  However, I do get space from providers, and it is not at all normal for the provider to ask us for money.  But then, maybe we are special.

--
TTFN,
patrick