Why does abuse handling take so long ?

goemon at anime.net goemon at anime.net
Mon Mar 14 01:35:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> Quite frankly, most ISP's aren't going to take your DDOS report
> seriously via e-mail.  If it's not bad enough to you that it is
> worth your time and money to make a phone call and help them track
> it down it is not worth their time and money to track it down and
> make it stop.
>
> In short, try picking up the phone.  You'll bypass the entire e-mail
> reporting cesspool I just described, and show the ISP you actually
> care.  9 out of 10 times they will respond by showing they care as
> well.

In my experience, most phone calls cause the ISP to become immediately
hostile. They find abuse report phone calls extremely threatening / scary
/ etc. and go into full shields-up mode. 9 out of 10 times the very first
words out of their mouth is "talk to our lawyers". the remaining 1 out of
10 is "block it on your end".

Email tends to be non threatening. As useless as it tends to be, it is
still generally better than calling.

the real cesspool is POC registries. i wish arin would start revoking
allocations for entities with invalid POCs.