Why does abuse handling take so long ?

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Sun Mar 13 19:59:43 UTC 2011

On 3/13/11 7:02 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> Well now, I'd say this varies considerably. There are definitely ISPs
> that care and*do*  work hard at reducing abuse. But even so - assuming
> I'm an ISP that cares,
>
> - You're presenting me with evidence of abuse. OK, I don't know you.
> Why should I believe your evidence? At best I'm going to take it as a
> *hint*.
> - If I take your evidence as a hint, I'm going to want to correlate it
> with my own logs. This takes time.

This also applies in reverse when your asking to get out of a DNSbl.
FWIW, when you deal with me on getting out of the AHBL, how well you
handle my abuse report affects how well I handle your request to be
delisted.  :)

effort in == effort out

> - I probably have customer contracts in place that specify under what
> circumstances I can actually take the customer off net. My tolerance
> of abuse may not be the same as your. Also, "due process" means that
> these things take time.

You aren't by chance related to Andrew Stevens?  He's been going on
recently about "due process" (quotes and all) to the point where certain
newsgroups are flooded with socks.

If not, then you have my apology :)

--
Brielle Bruns