Why does abuse handling take so long ?

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:31:11 UTC 2011

On 3/13/11 7:45 AM, Alexander Maassen wrote:
> Why o why are isp's and hosters so ignorant in dealing with such issues
> and act like they do not care?

Because network operators rarely get together and turn off routing to
abusive hosting.  On the few occasions that has happened, it took years
of consensus building.

So, part of the problem is *your* upstream.  Why didn't your upstream
actively remove the entire abusive netblock?  Why didn't your upstream
contact other providers with your evidence, and together remove the
abusive network from the global routing tables?

As we get more experience with global "cyberwar", we're going to need
faster response mechanisms.

What will we do as some major government coordinates an attack on another?

What will we do as some major North American government coordinates an
attack on another region or facility?