estimation of number of DFZ IPv4 routes at peak in the future

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sun Mar 13 01:44:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> That must be my mistake then, because I thought the exercise was
> building it in a way that it stays built for the maximum practical
> number of years. When it has to be touched again (or tweaked if it

So when you upgrade a device, you always buy the suitable device which
has the highest capabilities?  You put in a top-of-rack switch with
10GbE for servers with no 10GbE ports and no plans of needing 10GbE
connectivity to the next round of servers?  You buy a modular router
for branch offices that have only a few workstations and no
predictable need for upgraded connectivity?

This is a good way to waste money, and a bad way to ensure that you
will have the *features* you may want in the future.  New features
will not be back-ported to your box of choice, but you will have sunk
unnecessary budget resources into that box, making it harder to
justify upgrades.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts