estimation of number of DFZ IPv4 routes at peak in the future

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Mar 13 00:27:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/11 5:00 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> I'll be
>> convinced it can be done for less than 2x cost when someone actually
>> does it for less than 2x cost.
>
> part of the exercise is neither building nor buying the capacity before
> you need it. the later the features needed crystalize into silicon the
> more likely they are to be usable.

That must be my mistake then, because I thought the exercise was
building it in a way that it stays built for the maximum practical
number of years. When it has to be touched again (or tweaked if it
gets near its limit) that's manpower. Skilled manpower plus the
secondary costs from the inevitable delay deploying it is usually the
most expensive thing.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004