Switching Email

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Mar 12 13:16:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell at utc.edu> wrote:
> On 3/11/2011 8:24 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
>> --- bill at herrin.us wrote:
>> From: William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>
>>
>> No, it isn't. Contrary to mailing list best practices, NANOG
>> unsubscribe information is stubbornly stashed in the email headers
one but I can't seem to find any documentation to that effect.

On the other hand, the very first guideline at
http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_listmgntgdlines.html is:
"Mailing list administrators must provide [...] clear and effective
instructions for unsubscribing from a mailing list." Hidden in the
headers is rather less than clear or effective.

Even that lightweight, the CAN-SPAM act, calls for each message to
contain "clear and conspicuous notice of the opportunity [...] to
decline to receive further" messages.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004