Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route tablesizeconsiderations

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Mar 11 20:27:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:55:33PM -0600, James Stahr wrote:
> link-local address.  Then I realized, why even assign a global in the
> first place?  Traceroutes replies end up using the loopback. BGP will
> use loopbacks.  So is there any obvious harm in this approach that I'm
> missing?

Traceroute replies most assuredly do NOT use loopbacks on most networks,
and it would make troubleshooting massively more difficult if this was
the only option. Imagine any kind of complex network where there is more
than one link between a pair of routers (and don't just picture your own
internal network, but imagine customers connecting to their ISPs as
well) , and now tell me how you plan on identifying a particular link
with a traceroute. The two words that best sum this up would be "epic
disaster".