Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route tablesizeconsiderations

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri Mar 11 14:38:12 UTC 2011

Jeff Wheeler wrote:

> I'm glad SLAAC is an option, but that's all it is, an option.  /64
> LANs must also be considered optional, and should be considered useful
> only when SLAAC is desired.

That also could be optional, automatic host configuration does not
actually require 64 bits, unless there is a naive assumption that DAD
need not occur. Which it must always and for many reasons.

rfc3927 does not require 64 bits and works sufficiently well wherever it
is employed. SLAAC should be redesigned to be configurable to work with
however many bits are available to it and it should be a standard
feature to turn that knob all the way from on - off with 128 bit stops
in between.

And now DHCP-PD can start at any point in the connected hierarchy,
working with whatever amount of space is available and not requiring
complete upstream support.

I dont accept that IPv6 is set in stone. IPv4 wasnt/isnt set in stone
and people were/are actually using it because they depend on it.

Joe