Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route table sizeconsiderations

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Mar 10 19:12:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:52:37AM -0800, George Bonser wrote:

> What I have done on point to points and small subnets between routers
> is to simply make static neighbor entries.  That eliminates any
> neighbor table exhaustion causing the desired neighbors to become
> unreachable.  I also do the same with neighbors at public peering
> points.  Yes, that comes at the cost of having to reconfigure the
> entry if a MAC address changes, but that doesn't happen often.

And this is better than just not trying to implement IPv6 stateless
auto-configuration on ptp links in the first place how exactly? Don't
get taken in by the people waving an RFC around without actually taking
the time to do a little critical thinking on their own first, /64s and
auto-configuration just don't belong on router ptp links. And btw only a
handful of routers are so poorly designed that they depend on not having
subnets longer than /64s when doing IPv6 lookups, and there are many
other good reasons why you should just not be using those boxes in the
first place. :)