Joe Renwick joe at gonetforward.com
Thu Mar 10 18:37:56 UTC 2011

Hello All,

Apologize for my lameness in advance.  I have spent some serious time
researching this topic and have decided to reach out to the forums as the
two of the smartest people I know have hit the same wall in the past.
 Bottom line is I do not understand how to add (?compile?) MIB(s) into my
SNMP management system.  I use Cacti running on Ubuntu server and it works
great.  My only frustrations have been in the area of finding the MIB OID(s)
to use for gathering specific data.  In many cases with CIsco I manage to
find the OID name i.e. 'CISCO-PROCESS-MIB::cpmCPUTotal5min.9' but Cacti
needs the numeric value.  So I try 'snmpget' and here is what I see:

*jozo at crdtools:/var/www/cacti/rra$ snmpget -v 2c -c ptasa2etb 192.168.55.5
CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB::ciscoMemoryPoolFree*
*MIB search path:
/home/jozo/.snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/site:/usr/share/snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/iana:/usr/share/mibs/ietf:/usr/share/mibs/netsnmp
*
*Cannot find module (CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB): At line 0 in (none)*
*CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB::ciscoMemoryPoolFree: Unknown Object Identifier*

Did some research and using the following link I loaded the MIB(s)... which
basically consisted of a 'wget' of the MIB files into my /home/jozo/.snmp
directory.  At least I think they are the MIB definition files with a '.my'
extension.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=CISCO-PROCESS-MIB

But I still cannot get the numeric OID values:

*jozo at crdtools:~$ snmptranslate -On CISCO-PROCESS-MIB::cpmCPUTotal5min.9*
*No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging*
*Unexpected index type: 7 cpmCPUTotalIndex 9*
*.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.5.9*

Can anyone point me in the right direction.  Any links or advice on how to
operate SNMP on a Unix type system would be greatly appreciated.  Even a
response like "RTMF Buddy" would be awesome if a manual was recommended.

Thanks to all who read this email.  You deserve a beer.

Cheers,

--
Joe Renwick
IP Network Consultant, CCIE #16465