Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route table sizeconsiderations

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Mar 9 01:01:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, George Bonser wrote:

>> exception I've found so far is the Cisco ASR 1002, which can do 125k v6
>> along with 500k v4 routes at once.  I'm curious if any other vendors
>> have comparable products.
>>

> The NetIron XMR will get you 1,000,000 routes.

1M of what kind of routes?

A Sup720-3bxl can do 1M v4 routes or some split of v4 and v6 routes.  i.e.

L3 Forwarding Resources
              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                   72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     622592      348493         56%
                  144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      212992         263          1%

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |