Ranges announced by Level3 without permitions.

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:56:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Brandon Ross <bross at pobox.com> wrote:
>> IPs are announced by Level3... I respect this company but looks like
>> Level3 is scammed and currently announce without necessary permissions.
>
> Again, do you believe these networks are hijacked?  If they are in

Hmm - so who should announce it?  And who owns the netblock?

The whois etc lookups below could put this either in the US or in
Eastern Europe / Russia or in Italy.

$ whois -h whois.radb.net 79.110.224.0/20
route:          79.110.224.0/20
descr:          Avangard
origin:         AS50245
mnt-by:         SERVEREL-MNT
changed:        noc at serverel.com 20110210
source:         RIPE
remarks:        ****************************
remarks:        * THIS OBJECT IS NOT VALID
remarks:        * Please note that all data that is generally regarded
as personal
remarks:        * data has been removed from this object.
remarks:        * http://www.ripe.net/whois
remarks:        ****************************

Has a US address in the whois - which a little googling shows is a maildrop.
http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/news/story.php?story_id=118668700663617700

person:         Serverel NOC
address:        14525 SW Millikan Way # 33735   Beaverton, OR 97005-2343
phone:          +1(877)246 78 63
abuse-mailbox:  abuse at serverel.com

serverel.com
	 Name-- Iurii  Salmanov
 EMail-: (domains at serverel.com)

serverel.net
	 name: Andrew Neal
 mail: domains at serverel.com tel: +1.8772467863
	 org: Serverel Corporation

Then ripe whois says the netblock is either owned by someone in the
ukraine or in italy

inetnum:        79.110.224.0 - 79.110.239.255
netname:        Avangard
descr:          PE "Avangard"
country:        UA

person:         Karol Wojtula    <- named for the late pope john paul
II, I see ..?
address:        Bari , Italy , Piazzale Cristoforo Colombo, 1, 70122
<- google that address and its the ferry port in Bari, Italy.
phone:          +39 080 327 8841

And AS50425 - which'd announce it if that RADB object was actually
valid - is in russia, not the czech republic

organisation:   ORG-JS33-RIPE
org-name:       Closed JSC "TV Services"
org-type:       OTHER
address:        43, Bolshoy Tishinskiy per., Moscow, Russia,  123557
mnt-ref:        TV-SERVICE-MNT
mnt-by:         TV-SERVICE-MNT
source:         RIPE # Filtered

person:         Dolgopolov Alexey
address:        Russia
address:        Moscow
address:        43, Bolshoy Tishinskiy per
phone:          +7 495 9334592
nic-hdl:        DA489-RIPE
source:         RIPE # Filtered

So - the whois for these is quite confusing - not very easy for any
one entity to establish ownership?

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)