What vexes VoIP users?

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Mar 2 16:50:44 UTC 2011

On 03/01/2011 11:50 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> It's worked out great for me in a number of places. OTOH, it was kind
> of dicey even without the torrents from other places.
>
> I found that bandwidth and jitter were the bigger issues than other
> applications I was sharing the link with.
>
> I even managed to get passable call quality (though far from ideal)
> calling the US on a US third party provider from my soft-phone on
> my laptop from Kigali, Rwanda. I think that's close to a worst case
> scenario, frankly.
>
> These days, voice is a very low-bandwidth service. On any decent
> link, it seems to get through just fine.

Right, if it wasn't skype would be useless which it manifestly
isn't. Which is why all the heavy machinery to dynamically
provision qos for the rtp flows was, per typical, overwhelmed
by moore's law. I floated that heresy about 10 years ago, but
by then there was too much invested in seeing it through.

Mike, skype shows you can do all manner of horrible things
  and still work... real time media over tcp!