IPv6? Why, you are the first one to ask for it!

Jake Khuon khuon at neebu.net
Tue Mar 1 20:07:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 07:46 -1000, Paul Graydon wrote:

> Having worked both inside and outside the ISP industry, I wouldn't
> necessarily trust a salesman to know a DSL from a leased line, let alone
> IPv6 vs IPv4, nor to have remembered being asked about it before.
> That's stuff for pre-sales engineers to handle, not the salesman.

If IPv6 is being mentioned in mainstream news media including local and
national TV news (which it has) then I would expect a salesperson of an
ISP to also be somewhat knowledgeable enough to be able to able to at
least spell it.

And I agree with the previous poster that in this day and age, it is
unlikely that the sales group of a global provider would not have
encountered such a request.  If anything, they should have been hit with
those kinds of requests starting ten years ago.  Perhaps that particular
salesperson had not but he/she should have been briefed on it and should
be familiar enough with deployment status to be able to talk
intelligently and honestly with a potential customer.

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |