Firewall Appliance Suggestions

Rhys Rhaven rhys at rhavenindustrys.com
Thu Jun 30 21:48:53 UTC 2011

You can run pfsense in a VM, and the GUI is rather easy. VLANs are
configured as separate interfaces. So once you configure which VLANs are
which, your NOC monkey can simply go to the firewall and edit each VLANs
separate firewall rules. The multiple Phase 2 in a single Phase 1 was
added to version 1.3, which never was released as a stable as all
development went to version 2.0. So you will have to run 2.0RC3, but
hear me out.

I've been using 2.0 on production networks and use quite a few of the
features since November of last year, at which time it was still a
snapshot release. I have consistently been updating a VM, a few home
built machines, and our embedded devices in remote offices nearly every
week since then. It has never broken anything, ever. I only put it into
production once the bugs became minimal enough that they wouldn't bother
me. Currently there is only one bug not addressed, and it isn't hard to
avoid. http://redmine.pfsense.org/projects/pfsense/issues?query_id=10

Also, its free, so not hard to try out. Heres the RC3 announcement with
download links. http://blog.pfsense.org/?p=589