[pfSense Support] Strange TCP connection behavior 2.0 RC2 (+3)

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 20:24:59 UTC 2011

I have found most/all modern 3g networks can achieve optimal download speed
within their latency limitations (<200ms domestic end-to-end is normal for
most today) when combined with a modern operating system that does automatic
TCP receive window adjustments based on per-flow characteristics.  I never
had a problem getting ~2 megabit from EVDO-revA, and can get ~20 megabit
without issue from the new Verizon LTE network.  (Windows XP is not modern).

As for VSAT, most every vsat equipment manufacturer has TCP
acceleration/proxy support built into the satellite modem.  They basically
forge acks at the hub site to buffer data from the server, then deliver it
it to the remote end in a continuous flow.  Many also have protocol
optimizations for some of the more "chatty" protocols.  If you use it, your
10 megabit should be achievable for typical HTTP/FTP consumer internet
activities, and it's surprisingly fast.  I've sustained 6 without issue on
VSAT, only limited by bandwidth available, doing a simple SCP file transfer.

Of course, none of this is to the scale of transatlantic gigabit transfers
with a single flow...