What do you think about the Juniper MX line?

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Mon Jun 27 20:23:43 UTC 2011

The SRX line is nice for some uses, particularly with recent software updates that have fixed things like using IPv6 on vlan interfaces.

The SRX is not going to be the choice for an edge router that needs to do BGP and/or 1 Gb/s+ of traffic.

The SRX pretty much does everything in software, where the MX routes packets in ASICs.

SRX is great for a firewall box, or to be the edge for a small network.

I do wish there was an even lower-end MX than the new MX5 (all hardware routing, but ~$10k), as I would have many uses for such a thing in networks that only have a few uplinks of ~1 Gb/s. I don't need 20 Gb of throughput for that. But, if the budget allows for an MX5 (~$30k MSRP) or bigger, the MX line is very nice.

-Randy