Wacky Weekend: NERC to relax power grid frequency strictures

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 18:27:13 UTC 2011

> It makes little sense to sync to the grid when the generator is only
> used when the grid is down

I don't know what large DC do but at our large sites we normally get
power cheaper in exchange for a load shed agreement.

When we got the call we ran some/all of the load on generator so the
grid could flatten peaks.

At our tv/radio transmitter sites there were no UPS so a break would
disruptive. SOP was to run up the gens, sync then parallel the grid.

DC just treat it as a power failure with a short break on non UPS
service?

brandon