Wacky Weekend: NERC to relax power grid frequency strictures

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Sun Jun 26 15:03:17 UTC 2011

Another couple of reasons to use a delayed transition ATS:

1) Motor lock. Delays on HVAC equipment never get triggered if the system never goes offline. Having a correct "open" period allows the motors to spin down, and start back up on the delays that are programmed keeping them from being synchronized

2) Allowing transformer fields to collapse. Even in phase, without a delayed transition ATS you can end up with a partially collapsed transformer field with a new field being created at non-ground state. This can cause a transient back wave that can snap circuit breakers. Yep, this one happened to us a few times before we switched to a delayed ATS, was a PITA to debug and resolve.