Wacky Weekend: NERC to relax power grid frequency strictures

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 24 22:29:14 UTC 2011

The North American Electric Reliability Council is planning to relax
the standards for how closely power utilities must hold to 60.00Hz.

Here's my absolute favorite quote of all time:

  Tweaking the power grid's frequency is expensive and takes a lot of effort,
  said Joe McClelland, head of electric reliability for the Federal Energy
  Regulatory Commission.

  "Is anyone using the grid to keep track of time?" McClelland said. "Let's see
  if anyone complains if we eliminate it."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_POWER_CLOCKS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I believe the answer to that question is contained here:

  http://yarchive.net/car/rv/generator_synchronization.html [1]

This is gonna be fun, no?

Cheers,
-- jra
[1]Please, let's not start in on the source.[2]
[2]No, really: *please*.  :-)