IPv6 words

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Fri Jun 24 09:10:53 UTC 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> I am sure it has come up a number of times, but with IPv6 you can make up fancy addresses that are (almost) complete words or phrases. Making it almost as easy to remember as the resolved name.
>
> It'd be nice in a weird geek sort of way (but totally impractical) to be able to request IPv6 blocks that have some sort of fancy name of your choice.
>
> 2001:db8:dead:beef::
> dead:beef::
> dead::beef

For IPv6 I consider it "address spam".  My content filter will give you some extra tiny score if your MX uses such an address.

If you want to do it, make sure you do understand the restrictions that apply to IPv6 addresses, like U/G bits, etc.  Too many people unfortunately just think it's cool in a weird geeky sense and violate RFCs with them.  I was very close to write an article about that after W6D...

/bz

         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.