IPv6 words

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca
Thu Jun 23 22:19:08 UTC 2011

(Warning:  This email contains scenes of flashbacks)

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> I am sure it has come up a number of times, but with IPv6 you can make up
> fancy addresses that are (almost) complete words or phrases. Making it almost
> as easy to remember as the resolved name.
>
> It'd be nice in a weird geek sort of way (but totally impractical) to be able
> to request IPv6 blocks that have some sort of fancy name of your choice.
>
> 2001:db8:dead:beef::
> dead:beef::
> dead::beef

3fff:BAD::

Seriously though, I remember playing little games like this numbering
Novell IPX network segments back in the 1990's.  After IP came on the
network I think I was accussed of polluting pristine IPX nets....then...

I'll stop now. ;-)

wfms