ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:20:53 UTC 2011

> keep in mind that the venues for asking precise questions for the
> purpose of obtaining accurate answers of record are tdg-legal, or
> the saturday gnso gtld hours ("the kurt show").

"Kurt Show" that's a good one.

I was not expecting any elaborated response, just see if anybody on
that panel had a number in mind.

It is not an easy question to answer, and I'm not referring about the
cost of the application per se, there is some level of misinformation
(fed by some media outlets) that with the new gTLD program if you want
a .COM you pay $8.99 (or whatever is the offer of the day), do you
want your own .BRAND you pay $185K, which as you know is not exactly
right.

Then the actual question, besides the application fee, is how much
dough you need to play on the gTLD game, and I'm not talking about
community oriented, etc.

Lets say I want to apply for .WINE with commercial purposes, then what
is a ballpark figure for the funds/investment required ?

My guess, it is way way above the $185K

Regards
Jorge