Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jun 22 21:08:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:52:17 CDT, Erik Amundson said:
> I agree, the whole use of the terms 'need' and 'want' in this conversation
> are ridiculous.  It's the Internet.  The entire thing isn't a 'need'.  It's
> not like life support or something that will cause loss of life if it isn't
> there.

If you're using e-mail and other communication technology to organize a regime
change as is currently ongoing in the Middle East, the lack of it *can* cause
loss of life if somebody literally doesn't get the memo.

(Don't start in on the whole "it shouldn't be used for life-critical
applications" unless you (a) are currently *in* one of the affected countries
and (b) have a better *viable*, *deployable* suggestion for the populace. :)