ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:57:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu> wrote:
> I was talking about public perception and the ability to change it
> through marketing; not any actual security.
>
> It's like the difference between ".com" and ".biz", "people" don't
> understand when something isn't a ".com" and don't trust it.  When I
> say "people" I'm talking about the average non-technical consumer.

Not even a .CO after all the fuss and misinformation campaign
promoting it as the new "dotCOM" charging 3X the price of a .com, they
barely reached 1M registrations (many as you can imagine from the same
companies that hold the names in .com) when Verisign surpassed the 95M
and getting closer for the 100M celebration (without taking in account
the ~14M in .net).

PS. Eric you are doing a great job !! I admire your patience and persistence.

And forget about .INC, it is the airport code for Yinchuan, China.

-J