ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 21 00:48:12 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mark Andrews" <marka at isc.org>

> In message <20110620223618.2927.qmail at joyce.lan>, "John Levine"
> writes:
> > You're in good company. It's hard to find a modern mail system that
> > allows abbreviated domain names in addresses. I just checked the
> > mail at AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail, and the one at Tucows which is
> > used by a lot of large corporate mail systems, and none of them will let
> > you send a message to an address like foo at bar. Note that Yahoo and
> > Hotmail each handle mail for many large ISPs.
>
> Abbreviated names make perfect sense within a company be they mail
> (submission), ssh or telnet or within the home.

And to take that rebuttal even further, I would suspect that
username at division is a pretty common pattern in really large companies,
in addition to colleges; I'm certain, for example, that USF has that
pattern in its email addresses -- though whether it's mailers permit
users to short cut addresses, I'm not sure.

I'm sure we have some college email admins here, or on mailops; I'll
ask over there and see.

You would, clearly, have to be using the *internal* SMTP server, regardless
of where you were sending from, in order to do that.

Cheers,
-- jra