ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 20 23:41:39 UTC 2011

In message <B568F14D-2D30-4501-BAC9-FB3B4125ADE8 at virtualized.org>, David Conrad
 writes:
> On Jun 20, 2011, at 11:19 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > do you want to issue a RFC that bans search lists?
>
> Personally, I think search lists are a mistake and don't use them.  If
> you do use them, then you are accepting a certain amount of ambiguity.
> Naked TLDs will increase that ambiguity and would recommend against
> their use, however there is no Internet Police to enforce such things
> (ICANN certainly isn't since ccTLDs can do whatever they like). I have
> significant doubt that an RFC will magically solve this problem (for any
> value of "this").

While there are no internet police, they are not supposed to exist
and ICANN and the IAB can make statements to that effect.

Similarly ICANN could direct Verisign to meet its RFC 1034 requirements
by ensuring that regular checks of delegations be made to ensure
they both sides of the zone cut are consistent and if not ensure
that steps are take to make them constistent.

ICANN and Verisign don't pick up the support cost caused by Verisign's
and ultimately ICANN's failure to ensure these checks are done.
The support costs falls to ISPs and nameserver vendors explaining
that lookups are failing because the delegation in broken.  Broken
delegations that should have been caught and corrected by the regular
checks.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC