ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Mon Jun 20 22:33:12 UTC 2011

Paul Graydon wrote:
> I've seen the stuff about adding a few extra TLDs, like XXX.  I haven't
> seen any references until now of them considering doing it on a
> commercial basis.   I don't mind new TLDs, but company ones are crazy
> and going to lead to a confusing and messy internet.

I don't know about you, but *I* really like to browse to
http://google.google or https://yahoo.yahoo or
http://microsoft.microsoft (or www.microsoft.microsoft, or
www.com.microsoft, or...) instead of their .com equivalents. It makes
perfect sense. Except I fear the extra characters transmitted may add to
the global CO2 emmissions ;~C

In addition, from TFA:
""We're advising people to buy their brands, park them and redirect
visitors to their existing site, at the very least," says Hnarakis,
whose more than 3,500 customers include Volvo, Lego and GlaxoSmithKline."

I for one welcome the increased influx of money to registrars world wide
and ICANN in particular. The more money goes to the "those who operate
the c0re of the innernets" the more tools they have to improve it.

Forward we go, never look back.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--