VMware ESX LACP Support

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 22:01:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Manu Chao <linux.yahoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to design VSS LACP based MECs with ESX hosts.
> Does VMware ESX support LACP?

No, ESX does not support the LACP protocol for control and negotiation of
link aggregation.

Should you want link aggregation, and the default load balancing
operation of ESX
does not meet requirements,  it is possible to use a statically configured
aggregation in  non-negotiated ("on")  state;   or a third party solution.

The standard way to load balance NICs in ESX,  is to just plug in
additional NICs to the
same network, add the extra pNICs to the same vSwitch,  and have all
NICs in 'active' mode.
The default operation is   Load balancing based on Originating vSwitch port ID.

That is, every time a new vNIC is connected to the vSwitch,  it is
assigned a port ID,
which can be used to distribute outgoing traffic from the the vNICs
among the pNICs,
so individual VMs can be load balanced.

> Do we need Nexus 1000 for ESX LACP support?

The Nexus 1000v  for ESX has LACP as a supported feature.

The Nexus 1000v   is one third party solution for VS link aggregation
for  Enterprise Plus  ESX environments   that use the VDS feature.

VDS is a lot of complexity and expense to add, just to tick
a "LACP Support"  checkbox, however;  if you don't also need its
other features....

--
-JH