ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Jun 20 16:46:40 UTC 2011

Two additional sticks for the fire:

I haven't got around to reading the Jun 14 NTIA
FNOI<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/frnotices/2011/FR_IANA_FurtherNOI_06102011.pdf>
but in his talk at INET NY <http://bit.ly/inetnyarchive> the same day Larry
Strickling talked about a major review of the IANA functions contract,
saying

Based on the input of the global Internet community, we are proposing the
> following changes in the IANA functions contract. First, we propose a
> functional separation between DNS policy making wherever it occurs at ICANN
> or elsewhere in the actual execution of tasks associated with the IANA
> functions.
>

> Second, we propose enhanced transparency and accountability through the
> development of documentation processes as well as performance standards and
> metrics to establish service levels.
>

> Third, we propose that the contractor needs to include documentation that
> demonstrates how proposed new top level domain strings have received
> consensus support from relevant stakeholders and are supported by the
> global
> public interest.

also, in the "whereas' section of the ICANN motion to approve the new gTLD
program <http://isoc-ny.org/icann41/06-20_singapore_gtld_vote.txt> - there
is language that would indicate that the Vertical Integration issue is far
from settled.

WHEREAS ICANN RECEIVED LETTERS FROM THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF
> COMMERCE AND THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION ADDRESSING THE ISSUE OF
> REGISTRY/REGISTRAR CROSS OWNERSHIP, AND THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE CONCERNS
> EXPRESSED THEREIN. THE BOARD AGREES THAT THE POTENTIAL ABUSE OF SIGNIFICANT
> MARKET POWER IS A SERIOUS CONCERN, AND DISCUSSIONS WITH COMPETITION
> AUTHORITIES WILL CONTINUE.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com