Address Assignment Question

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jun 20 13:52:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:26:30 EDT, Steve Richardson said:

> *definitely* concerns me.  One thing they do say is that they need
> several IPs per block to assign to their MTAs to handle such a large
> amount of email (3 to 5 million per day).  Being primarily focused on
> layers 1 through 4, I don't have an incredible amount of experience
> with high volume email server configuration, so I have no idea if they
> are feeding me a line of BS or not.

It's BS.  5M a day is only about 60 per second, not at all a problem for a
single IP address running properly configured SMTP software.

For comparison, in the mid-90s, I was moving 1M RCPT TO's a day (and probably
half that number of envelopes) on a Listserv host using Sendmail on an IBM
RS6000-220 - a whole whopping 66MZ Power 604E processor and something like 64M
of RAM (The same basic firepower as an old Apple 6600 Mac, if you remember
them...)  Doing 10M messages a day on a single box is *easy* these days - the
hardest part is getting a disk subsystem that survives all the fsync() beating
most MTAs like to dish out....