ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Jun 20 12:41:51 UTC 2011

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> writes:

> And it only gets better from there... how many places have various "cutesy"
> naming schemes that might include one or more trademarks (or whatever) that
> someone might want as a TLD?

As it happens, I have a set of routers that are named { craftsman,
makita, dewalt, black-and-decker, jet } etc.  A couple of notably
small ones are named "dremel" and "proxxon".  Likewise, our VM hosting
machines are named after container shipping lines.  Trademarks and
candidates for dropping $185k on a TLD all.

In my experience this sort of naming scheme is the rule rather than
the exception.

-r