unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Jun 20 05:25:54 UTC 2011

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1106200055140.23147 at joyce.lan>, "John R. Levine" wr
ites:
> > And your technical solution to ensure "http://apple/" always resolves
> > to "apple." and doesn't break people using "http://apple/" to reach
> > "http://apple.example.net/" is?
>
> Whatever people have been doing for the past decade to deal with
> http://dk/ and http://bi/.
>
> As I think I said in fairly easy to understand language, this is not a new
> problem. I am not thrilled about lots of new TLDs, but it is silly to
> claim that they present any new technical problems.

There is a big difference between a handful of tld breaking the
rules, by making simple hostnames resolve to addresses in the DNS,
and thousands of companies wanting the rules re-written because
they have purchased "<tm>." and want to be able to use "user at tm"
reliably.

Simple host names, as global identifiers, where phase out in the
1980's for good reasons.  Those reasons are still relevant.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org