unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 20 04:01:39 UTC 2011

On Jun 19, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> I would guess that most of these are going to be purchased simply to
>> prevent someone else from getting them
> I would agree with this part.

I suspect you underestimate the desires and power of marketing folks at larger organizations.

Not really.  You might want to search on "trademark" in http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/rfp-clean-30may11-en.pdf.  There has been a tremendous amount of traffic on that particular issue and that is reflected in the Applicant Guidebook.

> It will be even
> more interesting if ICANN looses and has to roll back brand delegations
> it has made.

Really, if you're going to opine on the disasters that will befall ICANN as a result of the new gTLD program, you might want to actually read what that program does and doesn't do.  Really.

Regards,
-drc