ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jun 20 00:22:17 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Paul Vixie" <vixie at isc.org>

> inevitably there will be folks who register .FOOBAR and advertise it as
> "http://foobar/" on a billboard and then get burned by all of the local
> "foobar.this.tld" and "foobar.that.tld" names that will get reached
> instead of their TLD. i say inevitable; i don't know a way to avoid it
> since there will be a lot of money and a lot of people involved.

I think it's probably worse than that, since a lot of the companies who might
be foolish enough to try that *are companies that make stuff that's on your
LAN*... and what are you going to name the *one* Apple server that's on your
LAN in your internal DNS?

Of course; you're gonna call it "apple".

Cheers,
-- jra