ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jun 18 08:22:27 UTC 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 8:36 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

You are, indeed, wrong.

In . lives a pointer to apple. consisting of one or more NS records and possibly
some A/AAAA glue for those nameservers if they are within apple.

In the apple. zone file lives everything else about apple. including the SOA record
for apple.

Just as in COM lives one or more NS records for APPLE.COM and possibly some
A/AAAA glue for NS that live within APPLE.COM. Inside the APPLE.COM zone
file, OTOH, lives everything else about APPLE.COM including the SOA
for APPLE.COM.

> The people who operate the "apple" zone can apply an A record to "www.apple"...
>
> Oh.  Wait.
>
> I'm sorry: you're right.  It's been so long since I climbed that far
> up the tree, I'd forgotten, the TLDs don't *live* in the root servers.

EXACTLY.

> So people operating a cTLD like "apple." would have to run their
> own analog of gtld-servers.net, to which the zone would be delegated,
> and such fanciness could happen there.

EXACTLY.

> Ok; so *this* bit of opposition was a red herring.  :-)

YES.

Have a nice day.

Owen